Our Pallet Wall Master Bedroom
It's done!!! You may have seen my posts for the last few months on the progress of our pallet wall. Wait no longer - we are finished and I am OBSESSED.
Here's the quick backstory. We bought our first home in September of 2018. We were super lucky because it didn't need much work at all - we mainly re-painted and just gave it our "touch". Since we've only been here for about eight months, we still have a laundry list of items we'd like to customize and change about our home, but I'm really proud of the progress we've made so far.
First, I'd like to outline the process of creating the pallet wall. Then, I'll show the "before/after" photos as well as my inspiration picture!
We (and when I say "we", I fully mean Ryan for most parts) started by slowly collecting pallets and basically ripping them apart. If you're not familiar with what pallets look like, they're these guys and you can pretty much find them anywhere. (Behind department stores/grocery stores, Facebook Marketplace, etc.)
They all come in slightly different sizes (widths, thickness, etc.) but that was okay for us. We thought the variation would add to the interest. Once they were all torn apart, we set them up on a tarp to estimate the amount we'd need to fill the entire wall.
Then, it was time to stain! We have tons of stain colors in the garage because of all the projects we do. We decided on various hues of brown and a couple grey pieces. This took quite some time a) because it was a pretty giant stack of pieces and b) because we wanted to make sure the stain was totally absorbed to prevent having the smell in our bedroom. Yuck.
Next, it was time to lay everything out in a general plan of what it would look like on the wall. This part required a decent amount of flexibility because a lot of the pieces ended up being re-arranged once it was time to put them on the wall.
Then, Ryan nailed in vertical pieces of wood to the wall (over the studs). We figured it would be a better bet to secure the pallets to the vertical pieces as opposed to nailing all over plywood.
Next it was time to nail the pallets to the vertical pieces! Each row of pallet pieces is the same height to keep things more consistent. We quickly realized some pieces would need to be cut to be able to perfectly fit into gaps or against the adjacent wall.
Finally, all the gaps were filled and it was done! I purchased new, white, textured curtains to brighten and heighten the room. Honestly, the space is awesome and I'm so glad we took on the project.
"Finished" Project Pictures:
The "Before" Photo
Obviously not our furniture, but here's an idea of the way the walls/windows looked originally...
The "Inspiration" Photo
I'd say we came pretty close! Go, us!
Leave a Reply.