As I've entered adulthood and reluctantly accepted the fact that I wake up every day before the sun rises, I've developed a routine that makes my morning process as quick and as painless as possible. My alarm goes off and I am out the door 33 minutes later. Pretty good, huh?
Part of my morning routine is making my breakfast the day before. This helps because it gives me something healthy (and filling) to eat the next day without spending the "oh-no-I-don't-have-time-so-let-me-stop-at-Dunkin".
These overnight oats are the perfect solution! Below, you'll see all of the ingredients I used.
1/2 cup of oats
1/2 cup almond milk (use whatever kind of milk you want)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
A couple dashes of cinnamon
Fruit! (My favorite is strawberries and bananas - today I only had raspberries, though!)
Combine all of the ingredients into a mason jar and shake it up! Let it set in the refrigerator over night.
Grab a spoon when you wake up, and you're done! Breakfast is served!
Over the last couple of years, Ryan and I have experimented with a couple different kinds of homemade pizza. I think this one is my favorite!
What You'll Need:
Pizza Dough - Stop at a local pizzeria. They'll most likely sell dough!
Pesto Sauce (I bought mine from the grocery store)
1. Preheat your oven to about 425 degrees
2. Stretch out your pizza dough to fit your sheet. It doesn't matter what size - I've done circular ones and rectangular ones
3. Spread your pesto sauce all over the dough, leaving some room for the crust. I like the sauce to be thin because I think it takes a little better!
4. "Plop" on some drops of ricotta cheese all over. The more the merrier!
5. Sprinkle on grated mozzarella cheese
6. Add some Italian spices for taste!
Put your pizza in the oven for about 10 minutes, checking it along the way.
Let it cool.
Cut and serve!
Your life is about to be changed, seriously. These are probably the best things I've ever eaten and they are SO EASY. They're perfect for any occasion; kids and adults both absolutely love them!
Recently, I've been loving creating healthy muffins using a lot of substitutes. All of the muffins I've made lately have NO sugar and NO oil! I'm never too "exact" with my measurements, so I'm basically just trying to get the right kind of consistency instead of worrying about perfect fractions.
These Healthy Apple Crumb Muffins are really fun to make and SO good - I especially LOVE the streusel topping, which of course, if the most unhealthy part. Go figure...
For the MUFFINS:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. In a large bowl, mix together about 2 cups of flour, 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 tbsp baking powder, 1 tbsp baking soda, a pinch of salt, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
3. In another bowl, mix together your wet ingredients. I used about 1 cup of applesauce, which is a wonderful substitute for oil! It makes it much healthier. Also, mix in two large green apples, diced into small pieces. Add a splash of vanilla extract.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine until it is chunky. If you need more of anything, go for it!
5. I use an ice cream scooper to fill my muffin trays! Fill them all up, but make sure to leave room for your streusel topping.
For the STREUSEL: (Optional)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Half a stick of softened butter (I lied - I said my muffins don't have butter - this is the only part that does!)
Mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl. It works best if you're willing to get your hands a little dirty! You'll want it to be crumbly once you're all done with it.
Put your streusel topping on top of the muffin mixture in your muffin pans. Don't worry about patting it down or making it perfect; it will all come together.
BAKE your muffins with streusel topping for about 20 minutes.
For the GLAZE: (Optional)
Mix about 3/4 cup of confectioners sugar (sifted) and a few teaspoons of maple syrup. *Add the syrup slowly - a little bit makes a BIG difference!
Slowly pour your glaze combination on top of your baked muffins. It will harden and seep into your streusel and be the PERFECT topping to a wonderful muffin!