if you know my sister, annie, you know she loves to bake. she's in the middle of her junior year of college studying nursing (in the honors' program!!), so one of her favorite things to do when she comes home for break is to bake goodies. this year, ryan and i are hosting our family at our apartment for the superbowl. i figured i would get ahead and bake a few days prior to the big game to save some stress later on. i called annie up and she agreed to help. we ended up with these delicious, decadent, ooey-gooey fudgey brownies, perfectly coated with a sweet caramel topping.
(for the brownies)
8 ounces dark chocolate
1 ounce milk chocolate
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(for the caramel topping)
1 cup regular sugar
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees. then, line a baking dish with parchment paper
- make the brownies! melt the chocolate and butter over a double broiler. stir until smooth. when finished, let it cool for a bit.
- in a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, and salt.
- in another bowl, combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, whisk for about 30 seconds. pour the cooled melted chocolate mixture into the bowl and mix for another 30 seconds. (do not overmix!)
- sift the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture and fold in together with a spatula.
- pour batter into baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- make the caramel sauce! put the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. stir until sugar has dissolved. bring the heat to high and bring to a boil without stirring. it will slowly turn into an amber color. when it turns to the color of caramel, remove from the heat and add in the heavy cream, then vanilla, then butter. put the saucepan over the heat again until all of the butter has melted. pour the caramel over the (cooled) brownies!
- cool + enjoy!
thanks for reading!